Baoguo Temple, at the foot of Mount Emei, was built between 1573 and 1619 during the Ming Dynasty. The pagoda dates back to the Ming Dynasty.
The pagoda resembles the copper pagoda in Xiantong Temple on Mount Wutai, but the inverted bowl on the bottom is bigger and the upper part is made up of double multistorey pavilions divided by a wide pent roof. The pavilions each have seven storeys. The pagoda, including three huge beads on top, is seven metros high. Its main body is covered with high-relief sculptures that appear three-dimensional. Images of Buddha, bodhisattvas, figurines, lions and elephants project from the walls. The sculptures are so splendid that they put the pagoda in first rank among mammoth metal structures.